Let’s share a little about ourselves!

Home Forums The Simple Way Cohort Forum Let’s share a little about ourselves!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ra Mendoza
    Keymaster

Let’s share a little about ourselves!

What are 5 important things you’d like us to know about you? How do these 5 important things help us better see you as the Beloved that you are? How can these 5 important things help us know how to care for you as we start this journey together?

You can share as much as you’d like! If 5 is too much or too little, feel the room to share what you feel is important to you.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Ra Mendoza.
    Chris Mowery-Bell
    Participant

Hi all –

Some things about me – I was raised in South Jersey (don’t hold Jersey against me) by a single mom who sent me to a Christian (assemblies of God) school which effectively led me away from church (however thats defined) for years as I found more of what Jesus was teaching at punk and hardcore shows than I did at that school. I went to NYU for college where I dove into volunteering in the city and practicing social justice in my daily life, leading me back to consider Jesus and separate him from my experience at church. I’ve been going to Redeemer here in the city since then and volunteer with 2nd and 3rd grade boys in Washington Heights with a program called Operation Exodus (though I don’t like the name).

Look forward to speaking with you all tonight 🙂
    Chris

Dave Murphy
    Participant

Dave Murphy –
    5 Important things to know about me:
    1. I have been married for 27 years and have 2 grown children
    2. I do not attend any structured church (denomination)
    3. I have lived my entire life in the deep south but have traveled extensively
    4. I was born into poverty but today live what our society would deem a successful lifestyle.
    5. I cherish every breath and my happy place is outdoors, living & experiencing life.

How do these 5 important things help us better see you as the Beloved that you are?
    1. This has been my identity – I have a very deeply committed relationship and have tried to be an example and provider for my family.
    2. I truly committed my life to Christ is 2013 but haven’t found a place to worship that reflects my experience in meeting Christ. I desire community.
    3. I am seeking understanding and I am willing to challenge my own instincts.
    4. I am not sure how to answer how this makes me beloved but I feel it is an important aspect of my desire to take this journey. Perhaps the self-awareness is key.
    5. I try never to take anything for granted.

How can these 5 important things help us know how to care for you as we start this journey together?
    1. I have a spirit of loyalty.
    2. I am seeking a better understanding as well as a greater ability to extend grace as I have been extended grace.
    3. Daily I have to “unwind” the cultural teachings of my youth. My travels as an adult has given me a unique ability to test this ideological misguiding and reshape my thought patterns.
    4. #4 is very telling of my personality – I often find myself living in a space I don’t feel as though I fit into or belong.
    5. I tend to be a bit private and reserved; soft spoken.

Mark Clayton
    Participant

Hi,

I’m Mark. My wife, Grace will be joining in here too. We own and operate a small campground/RV park. We have a 6 yo daughter Alison. We’re in rural PA, just a couple of hours from TSW in Kensington. One of our customers lives right around the corner from their food pantry.

Probably the most important things to know about me are (in no particular order)
    1 I rarely have a simple answer to a question. Also, I need time to think about how to answer and the best words to use. So please be patient with me 🙂
    2 As much as I don’t like it, everything gets done at the last minute
    3 My faith journey has been a long one but gets better each year.
    4 I try to take Jesus’s words seriously and apply them in every situation
    5 I love to see experience the Kingdom of God

Grace Clayton
    Participant

As evidenced by this belated post, I’m often late to the party but when I’m there I’m 100% there!

Mark and I have been married for almost 12 years and we have a very lively 6 old daughter who keeps us on our toes! I waited a long time for a family and I thank God everyday for Mark and Ali and the crazy adventure our little family is on. I hope and pray that Ali will learn to love and follow Jesus.

I’m originally from South Africa. I lived in England for 6 years before coming to the USA 20 years ago.

I have had a varied career path including being a social worker, doing mergers and acquisitions for a large corporation, being general manager of a high-tech manufacturing facility, esthetician, massage therapist and a campground owner!

My faith journey has been a circuitous one … I fell in love with Jesus shortly after finishing high-school and grew rapidly in my faith. I entered full-time Christian ministry straight out of college but burned out after 4 years. I became disillusioned with Christians and the Church in general and I turned away from God. Over time Jesus drew me back to himself and I’ve been trying to walk more closely with him the past 15 years. I try to stay away from formal responsibilities within the Church as I find it quickly becomes a “job” for me. My understanding of what it means to follow Jesus has changed so much over the course of my journey and I know there is much more change to come!

I am naturally curious and I love to learn. I always have a question brewing or something that I’m cogitating on.

I am quite a driven person. I love new challenges and new adventures. I tend to over commit and work too hard. I often leap before I look and so get myself into ‘interesting’ situation which can be quite anxiety provoking!

I am trying to slow down and be more intentional. I am trying to foster more open, transparent relationships. I am trying to undo my cultural programming about the “right” way to live and instead respond to what Jesus is calling me to and order my life by his priorities.

I don’t think that’s 5 things but hopefully it gives you a little insight into me 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

0 Comments

Congrats to a Grad!

Did you know that The Simple Way offers an opportunity for young people connected to our community to attend and excel in college? Appropriately called Simple Way Scholars, in partnership with Eastern University, we equip students for their undergraduate journey by...

A Prayer for this Significant Week

As you may know, this week holds special significance for three major world religions: It’s Holy Week, in which the Christian tradition commemorates Jesus’ death and celebrates his resurrection three days later.  Good Friday also marks the start of the Jewish festival...

Places of Beauty, Places of Terror

As we mentioned on our social media channels this last week, we hold the tension of the both/and on a regular basis. Is it ever the same for you? Our neighborhood is a place of beauty, that much is true, but it can also be a place of terror. In an essay by Dr. Bill...

More to the Story

The scene is often the same: Fast-food joints dot every corner. Corner stores boast an abundance of “just add water” meals, junk food, alcoholic beverages and soda pop. With nary a piece of fruit or vegetable in sight, poor, urban areas like our own often lack viable...

Why Jobs Without Livable Wages Still Aren’t Enough

Poverty is a vicious cycle. In our neighborhood, 9.3% of Kensington residents are unemployed - this in comparison to Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, with overall unemployment rates of 7.5% and 4.5% respectively. It’s easy to imagine how those who are experiencing...

What does it mean to be hungry?

Many of us don’t know what it means to be hungry. We don’t have to think twice about stocking our pantries, ordering online grocery delivery, or even indulging in the occasional take-out meal once or twice a week. We plan out our dinners, one or two weeks ahead of...

Our neighborhood is not a monolith

As you may have seen on social media last week, in 2021, 7,741 adults, 1,604 seniors, and 5,171 children were served through our food distribution efforts. In total, we shared 279,390 pounds of food with our neighbors. The reality is that our neighborhood is not...

When Hospitality & Space Intertwine

As you may have read in our newsletter earlier this week, as followers of Jesus, we feel called to practice hospitality. At The Simple Way, we’ve gone as far as to include Radical Hospitality as one of our core values. Hospitality is defined as taking care of your...

Honoring Our Elders with a Food Pantry Day

It’s been just over one month since we opened a Food Choice Pantry day just for Seniors! Due to the pandemic, we’ve only been able to welcome a few neighbors into the food choice pantry at a time. This limit has meant people sometimes have to wait. Over the summer, we...

The Simple Way Scholars Alumnus – Hector Davila Jr.

I’m a people-oriented person. I’ve always loved being a part of a community and building long-lasting relationships. I love hearing stories from other people and what they’ve been through. My philosophy in life is that everyone has a story to share, and each story is...